Re: Empty date

From: "Andrus" <noeetasoftspam(at)online(dot)ee>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Empty date
Date: 2005-03-31 06:43:27
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a ODBC client which uses empty dates in its native data engine.
Unfortunately, empty data causes error if trying to store it.
This is serious Postgres limitation.
For a partial fix ODBC driver or postgres should convert empty dates to
NULLs automatically. This is better that producing error.

>> How can " " be a valid date? <<
>> You might want to reconsider your design. <<

Using your logic, I can ask: How can be 0 valid number ? If there is not
empty dates, number 0 cannot be also legal.

Empty data is a date which is less that all other dates. It can be used in
comparisons.
In contract, NULL date means that date is not entered.

Andrus Moor