Configuration/Tuning of server/DB

From: Reid Thompson <jreidthompson(at)earthlink(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Configuration/Tuning of server/DB
Date: 2005-03-24 19:46:41
Lists: pgsql-performance

Using information found on the web, I've come up with some configuration
and tuning parameters for a server/db that we will be implementing. I
was wondering if I could generate some feedback as to configuration and
tuning so that I could compare my estimations with those of others.

Host is AIX 5.1 with 4 cpu's and 4 GB ram. Postgresql will be sharing
this machine with other processes. Storage is an EMC storage array.
The DB itself is very simple. Two tables, one with 40-45 columns (
largest column will likely contain no more than 32 chars of data ), the
other with less than 5 columns ( largest column will contain no more
than 20 chars data ). Expected transactions will be along the order of
~600K +- 100K inserts and ~600K +-200K updates per week.

Thanks