Re: What do Oracle, DB2, etc. actually *do*?

From: William Yu <wyu(at)talisys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What do Oracle, DB2, etc. actually *do*?
Date: 2005-03-19 05:13:51
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Here's my question about "multi-master" replication whether it's Oracle
or not. How in the world does it work over high latency, low bandwidth
connections w/o getting pummelled in performance? I mean it's fine when
you have whole bunch of servers in the same building. But I've got
servers across the country and waiting for 2-phase commit across a
100ms+ connection just sounds ugly like hell. I've tried some simple
tests -- a client running some simple transactions across a VPN from San
Francisco/CA to Sterling/VA and it's 10000 times slower than on a local
100mbit LAN.