Re: Questions about the CI process and proposal

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andy Fan <zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, tmunro(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Questions about the CI process and proposal
Date: 2020-03-07 07:31:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-03-07 04:53, Andy Fan wrote:
>   Based on the facts that  1).  The test cases may succeed locally but
> may be failed
> in CI for some reasons.  2).  The newer version of the patch need to be
> submitted
> with new a email reply.  3). Reviewer &  committer bandwidth is
> precious.  so it would
> be not good to reply the email just for fix some tiny errors too many
> times.

This is not a problem.

> so do we
> need a method of updating patch without disturbing the email discussion?

I don't think so. Note also that it's not only about the verbal
discussion but also about having a unified and uniform record about what
was sent by whom and when and how.

> One proposal
> is people still can updating their patch with pull request in github,
> and our another CI
> setup can watch the PR and trigger automatically.  Once it really
> succeed, the contributor
> can generate these patch and send to email group for reviewers.

You can do this now by sticking in your own travis or appveyor files and
pushing to your own github account. I do this from time to time.

>   Another question I have is do we need a method to let the
> contributor to interactively test
> these code on the given environment?  I guess many people doesn't have a
> windows
> environment.   We may be able to provide a windows on cloud and if
> people need that,
> they can ask for an account (just live for a shorter period) with an email.

See my recent blog post:
https://www.2ndquadrant.com/en/blog/developing-postgresql-windows-part-2/

Actually part 3 is going to be about how to use CI for Windows, so
you're just a bit ahead of me here. :)