Re: Allow matching whole DN from a client certificate

From: Jacob Champion <pchampion(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: "daniel(at)yesql(dot)se" <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, "andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow matching whole DN from a client certificate
Date: 2021-02-26 19:55:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2021-01-30 at 16:18 -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Making incremental additions to the certificate set easier wouldn't be a
> bad thing.
>
> I wonder if we should really be setting 1 as the serial number, though.
> Might it not be better to use, say, `date +%Y%m%d01` rather like we do
> with catalog version numbers?

I have been experimenting a bit with both of these suggestions; hope to
have something in time for commitfest on Monday. Writing new tests for
NSS has run into the same problems you've mentioned.

FYI, I've pulled the port->peer_dn functionality you've presented here
into my authenticated identity patchset at [1].

--Jacob

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/c55788dd1773c521c862e8e0dddb367df51222be.camel%40vmware.com