Re: [ADMIN] Pseudo-Off-topic-survey: Opinions about future of Postgresql(MySQL)?

From: Shahbaz Javeed <sjaveed(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Enrique Arizn" <e_arizon_benito(at)yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Pseudo-Off-topic-survey: Opinions about future of Postgresql(MySQL)?
Date: 2004-08-16 20:28:48
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

# This message was accidentally sent only to Bruce. It's pasted here
for comment from the rest of the list too :)

Folks,

While on the topic of Ingres and open source, I was wondering whether
there's interest in an effort to port some of the enterprise-grade
features from Ingres over to Postgres e.g. what Enrique mentioned
(clustering, load balancing, replication etc). I've never dabbled in
the internals of postgres before but I'd be willing to lend a hand in
any way to get those features into Postgres.

Shahbaz Javeed

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:29:09 -0400 (EDT), Bruce Momjian
<pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Enrique Arizón wrote:
> > Now that CA has open sourced Ingres what future do
> > you guess to Postgresql and MySQL?
> >
> > Don't missunderstand me, I have been using Postgresql
> > for more than 3 years and developing apps against it
> > and all I got is possitive impressions, but comparing
> > the upcoming 8.0 (7.5) release with Ingres, it looks
> > that Ingres is much more advanced (clustering,
> > load-balancing, XML, ...) and the main advantage
> > Postgresql had in its open source nature looks to be
> > vanished. More one, CA looks really serious about
> > Ingres that now is a core tool in more of 100
> > derivates CA products, and it's said they had doubled
> > the number of Ingres developers. Also the new version
> > provides a great compatibility with Oracle and
> > "easify" Oracle to Ingres port. Is there any OBJETIVE
> > reason not to change to Ingres?
>
> Good question. We heard the same things when SapDB came out. SapDB was
> moved into the MySQL AB company and renamed MaxDB. I don't think there
> is any more community development of it, just like MySQL.
>
> Basically, what we have is quality code and a vibrant community. Those
> aren't easy to create. In fact, that's what makes open source powerful.
>
> --
> + If your life is a hard drive, | 13 Roberts Road
> + Christ can be your backup. | Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

Shahbaz Javeed