Re: Splitting queries across servers

From: William Yu <wyu(at)talisys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Splitting queries across servers
Date: 2005-01-28 19:36:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Without memory, the prices are roughly:

4x846 = $5500
4x848 = $6500
4x850 = $8000

Memory costs would be:

16GB (1GB DIMMs) = $3000
32GB (2GB DIMMs) = $7500
64GB (4GB DIMMs) = $24000
128GB (8GB DIMMs) = $60000

The prices on the 4GB & 8GB DIMMs are bleeding edge of course. I see a
wide range of for them on Froogle. You will want your vendor of course
to pick memory is proper for the MB and pay whatever premium they'll
charge ontop of it. (Looking at the Tyan website, they only list 2GB
DIMMs as supported for their Quad Opteron MBs but whether that's because
those specs were done before >= 4GB DIMMs were available or an actual
hardware limitation, I dunno.)