Re: Splitting queries across servers

From: William Yu <wyu(at)talisys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Splitting queries across servers
Date: 2005-01-27 20:40:56
Lists: pgsql-general

With a Quad Opteron (4 memory slots per CPU), you could put 64GB of RAM
onto a single machine using 4GB DIMMs in every slot.

The other option is to explore static memory storage. It's probably too
expensive to put your entire DB onto such a device but moving just the
WAL there would give you a pretty decent jump in write performance. (I
ran some tests way back simulating this by using a RAMDISK to store the
WAL files and got ~60% increase in an update-heavy mix.)