Re: COPY support in pgsql-jdbc driver

From: Sam Varshavchik <mrsam(at)courier-mta(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: COPY support in pgsql-jdbc driver
Date: 2002-06-20 05:55:40
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Barry Lind writes:

> 8) Need to decide how to handle character set conversions, since you are
> not currently doing any character set conversions for either the input or
> output. Since the client character set may be different than the server
> character set, this needs to be considered. You probably need an
> additional argument to each method for the character set to use (probably
> also have methods without the extra parameter that assume the default jvm
> character set should be used). You can probably optimize this if you know
> that the source and target character set are the same to be a noop.

What's being dumped and reloaded here is a byte-stream
(InputStream/OutputStream), not a character-stream (Reader/Writer).
Presumably, the only thing that's ever going to be reloaded something that
was dumped previously, so no conversions are necessary.

> 9) I think the logic that looks for the end of data marker can be more
> efficient. Off the top of my head (without giving too much thought to it)
> something along the lines of:
> read from stream into a buffer
> loop through the buffer spitting out its contents while byte != '\\'.
> When you find a '\\' in the stream then look forward two characters and
> handle accordingly.
>
> Reading one byte at a time from the stream will be slow, that is why it
> would be better to read into a buffer.

Just read from an InputStream, and let the caller worry about stacking a
BufferedInputStream on top of it.

--
Sam