Vacuum statistics

From: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>
To: Pgsql performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Vacuum statistics
Date: 2008-04-29 12:14:54
Lists: pgsql-performance

I recall reading posts in the past where one could query the stat tables and
see how well autovacuum was performing. Not finding the posts.

I found this query:
SELECT relname, relkind, reltuples, relpages FROM pg_class where relkind =
'r';

From the output how can I tell the number of dead tuples? Or how effective
autovacuum is in the particular table..

Recently inheritted several large Postgresql DBs (tables in the hundreds of
millions and some tables over a billion rows) and I am just starting to go
over them and see how autovacuum has been performing.