Re: [ANNOUNCE] USENET vs Mailing Lists Poll ...

From: Marc(at)pyrenet(dot)fr, G(dot)Fournier(at)pyrenet(dot)fr, From(at)pyrenet(dot)fr: <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2004-11-30 15:52:35
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

bill_harris(at)facilitatedsystems(dot)com (Bill Harris) writes:

>"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:

>> "If there was an official newsgroup for postgresql, would you switch
>> to using Usenet from using the mailing lists?"

>> As a side note, for those that do vote 'yes', please note that there
>> is an official pgsql.* hierarchy gated from the mailing lists, that is
>> available at news.postgresql.org, if you do wish to use a news reader
>> vs a mail reader ...

>FWIW, I voted yes, but my vote depended upon it being a
>comp.databases.postgresql.* hierarchy, done according to USENET
>guidelines. I sense that would be a lot more important for PostgreSQL
>in the long term and a lot more sustainable in general than a pgsql.*
>hierarchy. It's been my experience that processes done outside the norm
>tend to have extra problems along the way that cost more than the
>immediate gratification is worth, even if it does seem more painful at
>the time.

Just as an FYI ... the latest RFD is for *one* comp.databases.postgresql
group to be created, that is not-gated ... this means that those using it
would not have the benefit(s) that those using the pgsql.* hierarchy do,
namely access to the wealth of knowledge/experience of those on the
mailing lists ...

I had posed the 'who would use USENET' question on -hackers previous to
the poll, and the general opinion was "not in this life time" by ppl like
PeterE, TomL, JoshuaD, etc ... the thread can be seen:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-11/msg01110.php