Re: tcl bindings for 8.0

From: ljb <ljb220(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tcl bindings for 8.0
Date: 2004-10-15 00:48:39
Lists: pgsql-general

drysdam(at)ll(dot)mit(dot)edu wrote:
> David Rysdam wrote:
>
>> The README from 8.0-beta3 says "This distribution also contains
>> several language bindings, including C and Tcl" but I'm not finding
>> libpgtcl being built, nor can I find a way to tell it to. I see pgtcl
>> is on http://gborg.postgresql.org, so this mean that the README is out
>> of date and I need to download a separate piece? Does it currently
>> work with beta3 given that the proejct says "Enhancements will include
>> converting all commands to use Tcl 8-style objects"?
>>
> Oh, *Tcl* 8 objects. I was reading that as PostgreSQL 8 at first.
> Still, my question stands. Is libpgtcl in 8.0-beta3 and I'm missing it
> or do I need to download?

The README for 8.0beta3 is wrong on Tcl and I sent in a patch so it should
be fixed in a future release. Tcl is now unbundled, so if you want to write
client apps in Tcl that talk to PostgreSQL, visit gborg.postgresql.org and
take a look. There are currently at least 3 Tcl interfaces there.
I have tested my two, pgin.tcl-2.1.0 and pgintclng-1.5.1, talking to a
PostgreSQL-8.0beta3 server (on Linux only) and both passed my test suite.