Re: [HACKERS] Deadlock in XLogInsert at AIX

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "REIX, Tony" <tony(dot)reix(at)atos(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, "OLIVA, PASCAL" <pascal(dot)oliva(at)atos(dot)net>, "EMPEREUR-MOT, SYLVIE" <sylvie(dot)empereur-mot(at)atos(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Deadlock in XLogInsert at AIX
Date: 2018-01-16 14:30:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/16/2018 08:50 AM, REIX, Tony wrote:
> Hi Michael
>
> You said:
>
>> Setting up a buildfarm member with the combination of compiler and
>> environment where you are seeing the failures would be the best answer
>> in my opinion:
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Buildfarm_Howto
>>
>> This does not require special knowledge of PostgreSQL internals, and the
>> in-core testing framework has improved the last couple of years to allow
>> for more advanced tests. I do use it as well for some tests on my own
>> modules (company stuff). The buildfarm code has also followed the pace,
>> which really helps a lot, thanks to Andrew Dunstan.
>>
>> Developers and committers are more pro-active if they can see automated
>> tests failing in the central community place. And buildfarm animals
>> usually don't stay red for more than a couple of days.
> Hummmm I quickly read this HowTo and I did not find any explanation about the "protocole"
> used for exchanging data between my VM and the PostgreSQL BuildFarm.
> My machine is behind firewalls and have restricted access to the outside.
> Either I'll see when that does not work... or I can get some information about which port
> (or anything else) I have to ask to be opened, if needed.
> Anyway, I'll read it in depth now and I'll try to implement it.

Communication is only done via outbound port 443 (https). There are no
passwords required and no inbound connections, ever. Uploads are signed
using a shared secret. Communication can can be via a proxy. If you need
the client to use a proxy with git that's a bit more complex, but possible.

Ping me if you need help setting this up.

cheers

andrew

--

Andrew Dunstan https://www.2ndQuadrant.com