Re: doc: add missing "id" attributes to extension packaging page

From: Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: doc: add missing "id" attributes to extension packaging page
Date: 2023-03-23 07:24:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 23.03.2023 at 04:09, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> You're quite right. I clearly didn't have my XSLT turned on. Importing
> only works when templates are matched, not called by name.
>
> Sorry for the extra work I've put you through.

No problem. As always I've learnt something which may help me in the future.

> You've put in a lot of good work. I'm attaching 2 patches
> with only minor changes.

Thanks. When comparing things I also realized that I had accidentally
created a reversed patch. Thanks for fixing this.

> 001-add-needed-ids_v1.patch
>
> This separates out the addition of ids from the XSLT changes, just
> to keep things tidy. Content is from your patch.

+1

> 002-make_html_ids_discoverable_v4.patch
>
> I changed the linked text, the #, so that the leading space
> is not linked. This is arguable, as the extra space makes
> it easier to put the mouse on the region. But it seems
> tidy.

I tend to prefer a slightly bigger mouseover-region but I don't really mind.

> I've tided up so the lines are no longer than 80 chars.

+1

> This looks awesome. I love the xpath! I've changed the format of the
> error message. What do you think? (Try it out by _not_ applying
> 001-add-needed-ids_v1.patch.)
>
> Also, the error message now has leading and trailing newlines to make
> it stand out. I'm normally against this sort of thing but thought I'd
> add it anyway for others to review.

+1

> I'm ready to send these on to a committer but if you don't
> like what I did please send more patches for me to review.

I like it and think it's ready for commiter.

> Outstanding questions (for committer?):
>
> The 002-make_html_ids_discoverable_v4.patch generates xhtml <h1>,
> <h2>, etc. attributes using a XSLT <element> element with a
> "namespace" attribute.

I'm not sure I follow. I cannot see any namespacing weirdness in my output.

Are you using the v1.79.2 styleshhets?

> What character should be used to represent a link anchor?

It's not the first time this is coming up. See my response in the old
thread:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/e50193ea-ca5c-e178-026a-f3fd8942252d%40gmx.de

Personally I'd advise to stick with ASCII for now.

In any case changing the symbol at some point would be a very minor
effort if we deem it necessary.

Maybe this could be part of some general overhaul of the visual
apperance and website styling by a person with more talent for this than
I have.

Regards,

Brar