Re: Logical Replication - improve error message while adding tables to the publication in check_publication_add_relation

From: "Euler Taveira" <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
To: "Daniel Gustafsson" <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, "Bharath Rupireddy" <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "vignesh C" <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Logical Replication - improve error message while adding tables to the publication in check_publication_add_relation
Date: 2021-11-12 18:35:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021, at 9:41 AM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

> >> This patch no longer applies on top of HEAD, please submit a rebased version.
> >
> > Here's a rebased v8 patch. Please review it.
>
> This improves the user experience by increasing the granularity of error
> reporting, and maps well with the precedent set in 81d5995b4. I'm marking this
> Ready for Committer and will go ahead and apply this unless there are
> objections.
Shouldn't we modify errdetail_relkind_not_supported() to include relpersistence
as a 2nd parameter and move those messages to it? I experiment this idea with
the attached patch. The idea is to provide a unique function that reports
accurate detail messages.

--
Euler Taveira
EDB https://www.enterprisedb.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
v9-0001-Improve-publication-error-messages.patch text/x-patch 23.7 KB