Re: Best COPY Performance

From: "Worky Workerson" <worky(dot)workerson(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Markus Schaber" <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best COPY Performance
Date: 2006-10-25 15:25:01
Lists: pgsql-performance

> I'm guessing the high bursts are checkpoints. Can you check your log
> files for pg and see if you are getting warnings about checkpoint
> frequency? You can get some mileage here by increasing wal files.

Nope, nothing in the log. I have set:
wal_buffers=128
checkpoint_segments=128
checkpoint_timeout=3000
which I thought was rather generous. Perhaps I should set it even
higher for the loads?

> Have you determined that pg is not swapping? try upping maintenance_work_mem.

maintenance_work_mem = 524288 ... should I increase it even more?
Doesn't look like pg is swapping ...

> What exactly is your architecture? is your database server direct
> attached to the san? if so, 2gb/4gb fc? what san? have you bonnie++
> the san? basically, you can measure iowait to see if pg is waiting on
> your disks.

I'm currently running bonnie++ with the defaults ... should I change
the execution to better mimic Postgres' behavior?

RHEL 4.3 x86_64
HP DL585, 4 Dual Core Opteron 885s
16 GB RAM
2x300GB 10K SCSI320, RAID10
HP MSA1000 SAN direct connected via single 2GB Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop
10x300GB 10K SCSI320, RAID10