Re: Global temporary tables

From: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Global temporary tables
Date: 2019-09-20 15:12:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have added support of all indexes (brin, btree, gin, gist, hash,
spgist) for global temp tables (before only B-Tree index was supported).
It will be nice to have some generic mechanism for it, but I do not
understand how it can look like.
The problem is that normal relations are initialized at the moment of
their creation.
But for global temp relations metadata already exists while data is
absent. We should somehow catch such access to not initialized page (but
not not all pages, but just first page of relation)
and perform initialization on demand.

New patch for global temp tables with shared buffers is attached.

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
global_shared_temp_replica-2.patch text/x-patch 114.6 KB