Re: performance issue in remove_from_unowned_list()

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: performance issue in remove_from_unowned_list()
Date: 2019-03-21 01:22:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/12/19 11:54 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:

>> On 2019-Feb-07, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>>
>>> Attached is a WIP patch removing the optimization from DropRelationFiles
>>> and adding it to smgrDoPendingDeletes. This resolves the issue, at least
>>> in the cases I've been able to reproduce. But maybe we should deal with
>>> this issue earlier by ensuring the two lists are ordered the same way
>>> from the very beginning, somehow.
>>
>> I noticed that this patch isn't in the commitfest. Are you planning to
>> push it soon?
>>

> I wasn't planning to push anything particularly soon, for two reasons:
> Firstly, the issue is not particularly pressing except with non-trivial
> number of relations (and I only noticed that during benchmarking).
> Secondly, I still have a feeling I'm missing something about b4166911
> because for me that commit does not actually fix the issue - i.e. I can
> create a lot of relations in a transaction, abort it, and observe that
> the replica actually accesses the relations in exactly the wrong order.
> So that commit does not seem to actually fix anything.
>
> Attached is a patch adopting the dlist approach - it seems to be working
> quite fine, and is a bit cleaner than just slapping another pointer into
> the SMgrRelationData struct. So I'd say this is the way to go.
>
> I see b4166911 was actually backpatched to all supported versions, on
> the basis that it fixes oversight in 279628a0a7. So I suppose this fix
> should also be backpatched.

OK, so here is a bit more polished version of the dlist-based patch.

It's almost identical to what I posted before, except that it:

1) undoes the non-working optimization in DropRelationFiles()

2) removes add_to_unowned_list/remove_from_unowned_list entirely and
just replaces that with dlist_push_tail/dlist_delete

I've originally planned to keep those functions, mostly because the
remove_from_unowned_list comment says this:

- * If the reln is not present in the list, nothing happens.
- * Typically this would be caller error, but there seems no
- * reason to throw an error.

I don't think dlist_delete allows that. But after further inspection of
all places calling those functions, don't think that can happen.

I plan to commit this soon-ish and backpatch it as mentioned before,
because I consider it pretty much a fix for b4166911.

I'm however still mildly puzzled that b4166911 apparently improved the
behavior in some cases, at least judging by [1]. OTOH there's not much
detail about how it was tested, so I can't quite run it again.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAHGQGwHVQkdfDqtvGVkty%2B19cQakAydXn1etGND3X0PHbZ3%2B6w%40mail.gmail.com

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
smgr-fix-20190321.patch text/x-patch 5.2 KB