Re: Starting PostgreSQL 8.0.4 with more memory [FreeBSD 6.0]

From: Vlad <marchenko(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Starting PostgreSQL 8.0.4 with more memory [FreeBSD 6.0]
Date: 2005-10-31 05:10:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom,

I understood your point on memory usage. Out of curiosity - 115200
buffers seems to be little less than 1 gig (I assume 1 buffer = 8k),
so I could not get any closer to 2gigs anyways....

Is it practical experience that more than 50000 buggers actually hurts
postgresql performance? Any ideas why? What about really big
databases?

> BTW, where did you get the idea that it was sensible to set work_mem
> higher than maintenance_work_mem? That's just nuts.

I was just playing with different settings to see if there is one I
can adjust to get it started.

> See the pgsql-performance archives for past discussions of this topic.

ok, thnx

--

Vlad