Re: Array comparison & prefix search

From: Denes Daniel <panther-d(at)freemail(dot)hu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Array comparison & prefix search
Date: 2009-12-10 11:47:45
Lists: pgsql-general

I tried making the "ident" column a text instead of text[] in the beginning,
but searches were approximately of the same speed; so I voted for the array,
because this way there isn't even a possibility for the separator ("##") to
cause problems.

Anyway, the "ident BETWEEN ARRAY['foo', 'bar'] AND ARRAY['foo', 'bar',
NULL]" approach works really fast (uses the index), and selects all arrays
that are equal to or start with ['foo', 'bar'].

Thanks everybody,
Denes Daniel