Deadlock in Postgres 8.2

From: "Sebastjan Trepca" <trepca(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Postgres General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Deadlock in Postgres 8.2
Date: 2008-01-20 21:01:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

we are spotting constant deadlocks when altering tables. After I
restart the db the ALTER TABLE command runs without problems, but
when I try to alter some other table later on it deadlocks again. If I
kill the process that handles ALTER TABLE the deadlock is "unlocked",
but ALTER TABLE still won't run until I restart it.

I've checked the logs, but didn't find anything useful. How can I get
some more information on what is happening when the server deadlocks?

Thanks, Sebastjan