pgsql 8.0 beta 4 - Win32 psql client problem

From: John Browne <jkbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql 8.0 beta 4 - Win32 psql client problem
Date: 2004-10-27 17:09:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

-- Originally posted to pgsql-general, but no replies --

I was attempting to set up my psql client on the Win32 version of
postgres 8.0 beta 4 to be able to use an external editor. I set the
environment variable in windows like so:

PSQL_EDITOR="c:\progra~1\Textpa~1\Textpad.exe"

which does appear to work correctly. However, I get the following
when attempting to edit the query buffer:

db_merrymaids=# \e
could not open temporary file ".\psqA8C.tmp": File exists
db_merrymaids=#

Each successive "\e" command tries to create a different tmp file with
a different filename, all fail with the "File Exists" message.

If I specify a file using

db_merrymaids=# \e somefile.txt

Textpad does launch and ask to create the new file. But, I don't need
to create a new file. I need to edit the built-in query buffer. :-)
Any ideas why I'm getting the "File exists" error on the temp file? Bug maybe?

Thanks for any help