Questions about pg_dump file

From: John Browne <jkbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Questions about pg_dump file
Date: 2004-08-24 18:26:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

I had a-couple of questions regarding the text formatting in the pg_dump file.

First, when dumping my database, I seem to be getting inconsistent
end-of-line characters. Some lines end with the *NIX-style \n and
some end with Windows-style \r\n. Now, I have created this database
over about a-year or so and I have tested various clients (psql,
pgadminIII, etc) during that time. I'm suspecting they are coming
from one of the Windows clients, but shouldn't the \r\n end-of-line
characters be converted to \n when a dump is created? Is this the
expected behavior? I know the output of pg_dump could be piped
through perl or sed or something to strip/convert them. I just didn't
know if there was an easier way.

Second question... I have noticed that a pg_dump file keeps the text
formatting, ie, tabs, spaces, etc. for any user-defined functions.
The function looks like it should, and is readable, in the pg_dump
file, with all of it's formatting. A view, however, ends up all on
the same line. This is fine for simple views, but for more
complicated view definitions it can be difficult to read. Is there a
way to get postgres/pg_dump to keep it's text formatting (tabs,
spaces, etc) for the view definitions like it does for functions? Or
is this even feasable?

Thanks for the help

JB