Re: could not access status of transaction

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: chenhj <chjischj(at)163(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: could not access status of transaction
Date: 2019-01-20 16:19:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/20/19 5:07 PM, chenhj wrote:
> In our PG 10.2(CentOS 7.3) database, the following error is reported when querying a table. We have already restored the production data through backup, but i want to confirm what may be the reason and how to avoid it in the future.
>
> lma=# select count(*) from bi_dm.tdm_ttk_site_on_way_rt;
> ERROR: could not access status of transaction 3250922107
> DETAIL: Could not open file "pg_xact/0C1C": No such file or directory.
>
> Here are some related information
>
> The CLOG files in pg_xact diractory is as follow:
>
> 0C4A(Last update date: 2018/12/29)
> 0D09(Last update date: 2019/01/13)

Yes, that very much looks like a data corruption, probably due to
truncating the clog too early or something like that.

> A similar problem has been reported in 9.0, but there is no reason to mention it.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/1300970362.2349.27.camel%40stevie

The symptoms are the same, but that's far from sufficient to conclude
it's the same root cause.

> Currently I suspect that it may be the same problem as the bug below. is it possible?
>
> The bug will cause some sessions to cache the wrong relfrozenxid of the table. The session that may call vac_truncate_clog() will clean up the clog after the actual relfrozenxid due to reading the wrong relfrozenxid.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20180809161148.GB22623%40momjian.us#a7cc4d41464064b7752a5574eb74a06d

Maybe. But it'll be hard to confirm it's what happened. It also shows
why it's important to keep up with minor updates (you're running 10.3,
which is almost 1 year old).

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com