Using Postgres to store genetic data

From: Peter Hunsberger <peter(dot)hunsberger(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using Postgres to store genetic data
Date: 2009-07-10 20:11:43
Lists: pgsql-general

We're looking at potentially using Postgres to store a variety of molecular
and genetic data. At this point I have a bunch of general questions which I
can take to other lists if someone can tell me where
they would be most appropriate:
1) are there groups or individuals already doing this that have things they
can share? I've seen the BLASTgres work and it needs rework to compile
against 8.3 but might be potentially useful some of our forms of data;

2) if we do decided to implement our own data types where's the best place
for discussion about such efforts?

3) Can anyone talk about what it would take to add columnar indexes to
Postgres? Where would be the best place for discussion about what this
would take?

I can go into more details here if appropriate and if that will help...

--
Peter Hunsberger