MS Access and int8 columns

From: "David P(dot) Lurie" <dbase4(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: MS Access and int8 columns
Date: 2004-06-27 23:27:24
Lists: pgsql-odbc

The problems with psqlodbc 7.03.03.00 and 09 that I posted on earlier may
all be related to int8 columns.

The current default translates int8 columns to numeric when postgres tables
are linked to an Access 2003 mdb. No native int8 data type for Access mdb,
although Access projects can use MSSQL bigint=int8.

All of the int8 columns in the postgres tables were autonumber-like fields
based on sequences, and used as primary keys. I converted them all to int4,
and haven't had any recurrent errors today. The int8 -> numeric mapping by
the psqlodbc driver must be almost right, because the errors only show up
after the Access mdb has been open for a while, and only clear if Access,
but not the mdb only, is closed and reopened.

Access doesn't successfully link from an mdb to an MSSQL table with a
bigint/int8 primary key column at all. It maps the int8 column to text,
resulting in the #Deleted error when the linked table is opened. The same
table functions normally within an Access project.

David P. Lurie