logical replication of identity sequences

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: logical replication of identity sequences
Date: 2022-04-06 13:07:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Identity sequences shouldn't be addressed directly by name in normal
use. Therefore, requiring them to be added directly to publications is
a faulty interface. I think they should be considered included in a
publication automatically when their owning table is. See attached
patch for a sketch. (It doesn't actually work quite yet, but it shows
the idea, I think.)

If we end up keeping the logical replication of sequences feature, I
think something like this should be added, too.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Automatically-replicate-identity-sequences-with-t.patch text/plain 4.6 KB