Re: VOPS: vectorized executor for Postgres: how to speedup OLAP queries more than 10 times without changing anything in Postgres executor

From: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: VOPS: vectorized executor for Postgres: how to speedup OLAP queries more than 10 times without changing anything in Postgres executor
Date: 2017-02-16 17:00:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

More progress in vectorized Postgres extension (VOPS). It is not
required any more to use some special functions in queries.
You can use vector operators in query with standard SQL and still get
ten times improvement on some queries.
VOPS extension now uses post parse analyze hook to transform query.
I really impressed by flexibility and extensibility of Postgres type
system. User defined types&operatpors&casts do most of the work.

It is still responsibility of programmer or database administrator to
create proper projections
of original table. This projections need to use tiles types for some
attributes (vops_float4,...).
Then you can query this table using standard SQL. And this query will be
executed using vector operations!

Example of such TPC-H queries:

Q1:
select
l_returnflag,
l_linestatus,
sum(l_quantity) as sum_qty,
sum(l_extendedprice) as sum_base_price,
sum(l_extendedprice*(1-l_discount)) as sum_disc_price,
sum(l_extendedprice*(1-l_discount)*(1+l_tax)) as sum_charge,
avg(l_quantity) as avg_qty,
avg(l_extendedprice) as avg_price,
avg(l_discount) as avg_disc,
count(*) as count_order
from
vops_lineitem_projection
where
l_shipdate <= '1998-12-01'::date
group by
l_returnflag,
l_linestatus
order by
l_returnflag,
l_linestatus;

Q6:
select
sum(l_extendedprice*l_discount) as revenue
from
lineitem_projection
where
l_shipdate between '1996-01-01'::date and '1997-01-01'::date
and l_discount between 0.08 and 0.1
and l_quantity < 24;

--
Konstantin Knizhnik