Re: libpq compression

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Grigory Smolkin <g(dot)smolkin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq compression
Date: 2018-06-05 17:06:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/5/18 03:09, Michael Paquier wrote:
> I just had a quick look at this patch, lured by the smell of your latest
> messages... And it seems to me that this patch needs a heavy amount of
> work as presented. There are a couple of things which are not really
> nice, like forcing the presentation of the compression option in the
> startup packet to begin with.

Yeah, at this point we will probably need a discussion and explanation
of the protocol behavior this is adding, such as how to negotiate
different compression settings.

Unrelatedly, I suggest skipping the addition of -Z options to various
client-side tools. This is unnecessary, since generic connection
options can already be specified via -d typically, and it creates
confusion because -Z is already used to specify output compression by
some programs.