Re: Commitfest overflow

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Commitfest overflow
Date: 2021-08-05 13:06:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8/5/21 8:39 AM, Andrey Borodin wrote:

>> Early commitfests recognized a rule that patch authors owed one review per
>> patch registered in the commitfest. If authors were holding to that, then
>> both submissions and reviews would slow during vacations, but the neglected
>> fraction of the commitfest would be about the same. I think it would help to
>> track each author's balance (reviews_done - reviews_owed).
>
> +1 for tracking this.

Yeah, I agree we should be stricter about this rule, but I'm somewhat
skeptical about tracking it in the CF app - judging patch and review
complexity seems quite subjective, etc.

> BTW when review is done? When first revision is published? Or when patch is committed\rollbacked?
> When the review is owed? At the moment when patch is submitted? Or when it is committed?

I think the rule is roughly that when you submit a patch to a CF, you're
expected to review a patch of comparable complexity in the same CF. It's
not tied to whether the patch is committed, etc.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company