Re: Dell PERC H700/H800

From: Dave Crooke <dcrooke(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>, Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dell PERC H700/H800
Date: 2010-02-12 19:03:54
Lists: pgsql-performance

I do think it's valid to prevent idiot customers from installing drives that
use too much power or run too hot, or desktop drives that don't support
fast-fail reads, thus driving up Dell's support load, but it sounds like
this is more of a lock-in attempt.

This is kind of a dumb move on their part .... most enterprise buyers will
buy drives through them anyway for support reasons, and the low end guys who
are price sensitive will just take their business elsewhere. I'm not sure
who thought this would increase revenue materially.

Cheers
Dave