Re: New server to improve performance on our large and busy DB - advice? (v2)

From: Dave Crooke <dcrooke(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Carlo Stonebanks <stonec(dot)register(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New server to improve performance on our large and busy DB - advice? (v2)
Date: 2010-01-14 22:35:53
Lists: pgsql-performance

I'll bite ....

1. In general, RAID-10 is the only suitable RAID configuration for a
database. The decision making comes in how many drives, and splitting stuff
up into LUNs (like putting pg_xlog on its own LUN).

2. None of the above - you're asking the wrong question really. PostgreSQL
is open source, and is developed on Unix. The Windows version is a pretty
good port, as Windows posrt of OSS stuff go, but it's just that, a port.
Your server is being dedicated to running Postgres, so the right question to
ask is "What is the best OS for running Postgres?".

For any given database engine, regardless of the marketing and support
stance, there is only one true "primary" enterprise OS platform that most
big mission critical sites use, and is the best supported and most stable
platform for that RDBMS. For Oracle, that's HP-UX (but 10 years ago, it was
Solaris). For PostgreSQL, it's Linux.

The biggest problem with Postgres on Windows is that it only comes in
32-bit. RAM is the ultimate performance tweak for an RDBMS, and to make
proper use of modern amounts of RAM, you need a 64-bit executable.

3. The two choices I'd consider are both Linux:

- for the conservative / supported approach, get Red Hat and buy support
from them and (e.g.) Enterprise DB
- if you plan to keep pretty current and are happy actively managing
versions and running locally compiled builds, go with Ubuntu

4. The general wisdom is that there are a lot of improvements from 8.3 to
8.4, but how much benefit you'll see in your environment is another
question. If you're building a new system and have to migrate anyway, it
seems like a good opportunity to upgrade.

Cheers
Dave