Re: index-only count(*) for indexes supporting bitmap scans

From: Alexander Kuzmenkov <a(dot)kuzmenkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: index-only count(*) for indexes supporting bitmap scans
Date: 2017-04-12 14:01:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12.04.2017 15:04, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk> writes:
>> "Alexander" == Alexander Kuzmenkov <a(dot)kuzmenkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> writes:
>> Alexander> Structurally, the patch consists of two major parts: a
>> Alexander> specialized executor node
>> Why?
>> It strikes me that the significant fact here is not that we're doing
>> count(*), but that we don't need any columns from the bitmap heap scan
>> result. Rather than creating a whole new node, can't the existing
>> bitmap heapscan be taught to skip fetching the actual table page in
>> cases where it's all-visible, not lossy, and no columns are needed?
> +1 ... while I hadn't actually looked at the code, it seemed to me that
> anything like the optimization-as-described would be impossibly klugy
> from the planner's standpoint. Your formulation sounds lots nicer.
>
> Detecting that no columns are needed in the executor might be a bit tricky
> because of the planner's habit of inserting a "physical tlist" to avoid a
> projection step. (See also nearby discussion about custom scan planning.)
> But we could fix that. I think one rule that would make sense is to
> just disable the physical-tlist substitution if the relation's targetlist
> is empty --- it wouldn't be buying much in such a case anyhow. Then the
> runtime tlist for the scan node would also be empty, and away you go.
When making an early prototype of this optimization, I did what you are
describing with the bitmap heap scan executor node. In an internal
review, it was said that the bitmap heap scan node is already
complicated enough and shouldn't have more logic added to it, so I
rewrote it a separate node. To me, your approach looks good too, so if
the community is generally in favor of this, I could rewrite the
executor as such.

With planner, the changes are more complex. Two things must be done
there. First, when the tlist is empty, we must use a different cost
function for bitmap heap scan, because the heap access pattern is
different. Second, choose_bitmap_and() must use a different algorithm
for choosing the right combination of paths. A standard algorithm
chooses the combination based on cost. For count(*) purposes, the
decisive factor is that the path has to check all the restrictions, or
else we'll need heap access to recheck some of them, which defeats the
purpose of having this optimization. The planner code that builds and
costs the index path is fairly complex, and integrating this additional
behavior into it didn't look good to me. Instead, I created a
specialized path node and isolated the logic that handles it. The
resulting implementation adds several functions, but it is mostly
self-contained and has a single entry point in grouping_planner(). It
handles the specific case of bitmap count plans and doesn't complicate
the existing code any further.

The planner part is to some extent independent of whether we use a
separate executor node or not. If we choose not to, the same count(*)
optimization code I proposed could create plain bitmap heap scan paths.

--
Alexander Kuzmenkov
The Russian Postgres Company