Re: pg_stat_advisor extension

From: Ilia Evdokimov <ilya(dot)evdokimov(at)tantorlabs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: pg_stat_advisor extension
Date: 2024-02-08 13:54:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Feb 8 2024 at 00:00:00 jian he

>INT MAX

>should be 1.0?

I don’t know why Konstantin Knizhnik used the ratio of actual tuples to
the planned ones, but most who start testing my extension expect that it
will be a coefficient from 0 to 1, which will be the ratio of the
estimated tuples to the actual ones. Therefore, I changed the value of
this coefficient the other way around and now the value can be from 0 to
1. The patch with changes has been attached.

> now CREATE STATISTICS, the statistics name is optional

I constructed the name of the statistics so that the user could copy the
line with 'CREATE STATISTICS' with the mouse and execute this command
faster. But if the user wants ITS name, he can do it manually.

> here you can explicitly mention the statistics kind would be great

I agree with you. That would be my next step. That's why I'm doing it now.

> Also since the documentation is limited, more comments
explainingSuggestMultiColumnStatisticsForNode would be great.

> overall the comments are very little, it should be more (that's my opinion).

Yes, certainly. I'll do it in the next patch.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts and feedback.

Regards,

Ilia Evdokimov,

Tantor Labs LLC.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0003-pg_stat_advisor-extension.patch text/x-patch 28.1 KB