Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

From: "Thomas Hallgren" <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?
Date: 2004-06-07 06:20:35
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

"David Garamond" <lists(at)zara(dot)6(dot)isreserved(dot)com> wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Oh? What's their plan for the release after 9.9.9?
>
> As for Ruby, it probably won't expect > 9.9.9 in any foreseeable future.
> It takes +- 10 years to get to 1.8.1. Same with Python. But Perl will
> have 5.10.0.

You cannot seriously propose that the version number in itself should
prevent a 10th bugfix on some branch just to satisfy the possible existence
of an incorrect version number parser somewhere?

> I personally don't see the major number as a very magical thing. Look at
> Linux for example. People still see 2.6 as very different/ahead compared
> to 2.4...

IMHO a discussion concerning rules controlling when and why things should be
major versus minor releases is needed rather than invalidating the
significance of major/minor/bugfix altogether. What you propose is very
close to suggesting one single number ranging from 001 to 999. I don't think
that will meet much sympathy either.

Kind regards,

Thomas Hallgren