Re: [WIP]Vertical Clustered Index (columnar store extension)

From: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [WIP]Vertical Clustered Index (columnar store extension)
Date: 2017-02-03 09:28:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 30.12.2016 06:55, Haribabu Kommi wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Fujitsu was interested in developing a columnar storage extension with
> minimal
> changes the server backend.

We in PostgresPRO are also very interested in developing vertical
storage (VS) for Postgres.
And after considering many alternatives, we came to the conclusion that
approach based on representing columnar store as access method (index)
is the most promising one.

It allows to:
1. Implement VS as extension without affecting Postgres core.
2. Have both ROS and WOS.
3. Create multiple projections (as in Vertica).
4. Optimize insert speed by support batch inserts and use flexible
recovery model for VS.

So it is very similar with your approach. But there are few differences:

1. Our intention is to completely eliminate changes in Postgres core.

You wrote:
> Yes, it is a mix of both index and table access methods. The current
> design
> of Vertical clustered index needs both access methods, because of this
> reason
> we used both access methods.
But I still do not completely understand why it is not possible to use
VS in index only scans without any changes and standard Postgres executor?
Why it is not possible to rely on standard rules of applying indexes in
Postgres optimizer based on costs provided by our AM implementation?

2. You are accessing VS pages through Postgres buffer manager. It
certainly have a lot of advantages. First of all it significantly
simplifies implementation of VS and allows to reuse Postgres cache and
lock managers.
But is all leads to some limitation:
- For VS it is preferable to have larger pages (in Vertica size of page
can be several megabytes).
- VS is optimized for sequential access, so caching pages in buffer
manager is no needed and can only cause leaching of other useful pages
from cache.
- It makes it not possible to implement in-memory version of VS.
- Access to buffer manager adds extra synchronization overhead which
becomes noticeable at MPP systems.

So I wonder if you have considered approach with VS specific
implementation of storage layer?

3. To take all advantages of vertical model, we should provide vector
execution.
Without it columnar store can only reduce amount of fetched data by
selective fetch of accessed columns and better compression of them.
But this is what existed cstore_fdw extension for Postgres also does.

We are going to use executor hooks or custom nodes to implement vector
operations for some nodes (filter, grand aggregate, aggregation with
group by,...).
Something similar with
https://github.com/citusdata/postgres_vectorization_test

What is your vision of optimizing executor to work with VS?

4. How do you consider adding parallelism support to VS? Should it be
handled inside VS implementation? Or should we use standard Postgres
parallel execution (parallel index-only scan)?

Thanks in advance,
Kosntantin

--
Konstantin Knizhnik