Re: WIP: Data at rest encryption

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Ants Aasma <ants(dot)aasma(at)eesti(dot)ee>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Data at rest encryption
Date: 2017-06-14 21:32:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/14/17 05:04, Aleksander Alekseev wrote:
> A few companies that hired system administrators that are too
> lazy to read two or three man pages is not a reason to re-implement file
> system encryption (or compression, or mirroring if that matters) in any
> open source RDBMS.

To be fair, we did implement our own compression (TOAST) and mirroring
(compared to, say, DRBD) because there were clear advantages in
simplicity and performance. Checksumming is another area where we moved
forward in spite of arguments that the file system should do it. So we
will need to see the whole picture.