Suggestion about logging only every n-th statement

From: Janning Vygen <vygen(at)kicktipp(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Suggestion about logging only every n-th statement
Date: 2018-06-20 11:51:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Back in 2009 I made a suggestion which is not implemented yet but would
still be very valuable and easy to implement in my opinion (not for me
as I am not speaking C):

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/200903161426(dot)56662(dot)vygen%40kicktipp(dot)de#200903161426(dot)56662(dot)vygen(at)kicktipp(dot)de

We still can't afford to log each and every statement as we have too
many and we don't want to afford more disk performance/space. Therefore
we log only statements slower than 50ms.

But for analyzing usage patterns it would be very nice to have this
combined with a sample_rate for logging.

logging_sample_rate = n

So each n-th statement will get logged regardless of execution time.

What do you think?

regards
Janning