Re: Code of Conduct plan

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: James Keener <jim(at)jimkeener(dot)com>, Robert Eckhardt <reckhardt(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date: 2018-09-14 15:08:09
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On 09/14/2018 07:51 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> If that business is publicly bringing the project into disrepute, or
> harassing other community members and they approach us about it, then
> it becomes our business.
>

>> If it's unrelated to PostgreSQL, then it's your personal business
>> and not something the project would get involved in.
>
> O.k. so this isn't clear (at least to me) within the CoC. I want
> to make sure I understand. You are saying that if a community
> member posts on Twitter that they believe gays are going to hell,
> reporting that to the CoC committee would result in a
> non-violation UNLESS they referenced postgresql within the post?
>

> Yes, I believe so. Isn't that what "To that end, we have established
> this Code of Conduct for community interaction and participation in
> the project’s work and the community at large." basically says?

Honestly, no. At least not to me especially when you consider the
sentence right after that, "This Code is meant to cover all interaction
between community members, whether or not it takes place within
postgresql.org infrastructure, so long as there is not another Code of
Conduct that takes precedence (such as a conference's Code of Conduct)."

Based on your clarification, I am feeling better but the language
doesn't read that way to me.

I wish this was easier but have we considered that all channels that we
would be concerned with already have CoC's and therefore our CoC is
fairly powerless? Sure they call them Terms of Use but that's what they
are, Code of Conducts.

Thanks,

JD

*** A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is. ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
***** Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own. *****