Raw device on PostgreSQL

From: Benjamin Schaller <benjamin(dot)schaller(at)s2018(dot)tu-chemnitz(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Raw device on PostgreSQL
Date: 2020-04-28 08:43:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hey,

for an university project I'm currently doing some research on
PostgreSQL. I was wondering if hypothetically it would be possible to
implement a raw device system to PostgreSQL. I know that the
disadvantages would probably be higher than the advantages compared to
working with the file system. Just hypothetically: Would it be possible
to change the source code of PostgreSQL so a raw device system could be
implemented, or would that cause a chain reaction so that basically one
would have to rewrite almost the entire code, because too many elements
of PostgreSQL rely on the file system?

Best regards