Performance of ByteA: ascii vs binary

From: Thomas Güttler <guettliml(at)thomas-guettler(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Performance of ByteA: ascii vs binary
Date: 2019-03-18 14:33:17
Lists: pgsql-general

I did some benchmarking and in my setup there was major
performance difference.

I tested a ByteA column.

If I used ascii data the tests took 52 seconds.
If I used random binary data the test took 250 seconds.

binary data is (roughly) five times slower than ascii data?

Is this a know fact, or is there something wrong with my benchmark?

I used Python and psycopg2.

Regards,
Thomas Güttler

--