Re: Performance of pg_dump on PGSQL 8.0

From: "John Vincent" <pgsql-performance(at)lusis(dot)org>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, "PGSQL Performance" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance of pg_dump on PGSQL 8.0
Date: 2006-06-14 21:18:14
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 6/14/06, Jim C. Nasby <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 02:11:19PM -0400, John Vincent wrote:
> > Out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea what the ratio of actual
> > datasize to backup size is if I use the custom format with -Z 0
> compression
> > or the tar format?
>
> -Z 0 should mean no compression.

But the custom format is still a binary backup, no?

Something you can try is piping the output of pg_dump to gzip/bzip2. On
> some OSes, that will let you utilize 1 CPU for just the compression. If
> you wanted to get even fancier, there is a parallelized version of bzip2
> out there, which should let you use all your CPUs.
>
> Or if you don't care about disk IO bandwidth, just compress after the
> fact (though, that could just put you in a situation where pg_dump
> becomes bandwidth constrained).

Unfortunately if we working with our current source box, the 1 CPU is
already the bottleneck in regards to compression. If I run the pg_dump from
the remote server though, I might be okay.