Re: Docbook 5.x

From: Alexander Law <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alexander Lakhin <a(dot)lakhin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Docbook 5.x
Date: 2016-09-14 11:18:24
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hello, Peter.
>>> Should we now compare DSSSL outputs with XSLT?
>>> I had some success with it before. See my letter:
>>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/57712848.7060306%40gmail.com
>>> Those xslt's (see xhtml-like-dsssl.patch) can help us to see all the
>>> differences and to decide which customizations to keep.
>> It looks like the idea there is to whack the XSLT stylesheets until the
>> output looks exactly like the DSSSL output? I'm not sure that's
>> terribly useful. It would probably be a lot of work, which we'll just
>> end up removing eventually. I'd rather just fix any formatting issues
>> we find and move forward.
> That work is done already and it's results are countable and
> observable differences. (See comments in the xslt.)
> For example, with DSSSL we don't get a chapter TOC when the chapter
> contains only one sect1 (with XSLT we get the TOC with the one item).
> We also had subtoc for sect1/refentry and sect1/simplesect, but with
> XSLT it's absent.
> So if all such differences are not important, let's move forward.

Please look at the
http://oc.postgrespro.ru/index.php/s/ttJyMDLr8Xr1HTu/download
where I have gathered together all the significant differences, that we
have between DSSSL and XSLT outputs.
I have marked red the differences that I would consider as negative.
Let's decide which ones are acceptable and which we need to eliminate.

Best regards,
Alexander