Re: pgAdmin 4 1.0-beta4 - Query Tool, Select file popup issues

From: Michal Kozusznik <kozusznik(dot)michal(at)ifortuna(dot)cz>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin 4 1.0-beta4 - Query Tool, Select file popup issues
Date: 2016-10-26 14:04:59
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 26.10.2016 10:58, Dave Page wrote:
> I wouldn't be so sure about that :-/. There are various problems with
> using native file dialogues - firstly, they won't work at all in
> server mode where you actually need to browse the filesystem on the
> server, not the client.
(...)
> So, I can't see us using native dialogues except in a few simple cases
> where you really are downloading something (e.g. some query results).
> However, I certainly do want us to improve the file management to
> support features like you suggest.

What server mode you mean? Doesn't sql file is intended to be loaded
into client app edit form from local machine? Server shouldn't be
involved into this process.
If making possible to open sql files from server space and storing them
onto server was a goal then to me it seems to be a misconception.

Another thing is using custom UI components which break user experience.
Applications should be designed to be seamless regarding look and usage
flow across operation system they run. For example file browser in image
editor should look and work the same way as in text or programming editor.

It all comes from best practices for UI design.

with regards
MK

Attachment Content-Type Size
kozusznik_michal.vcf text/x-vcard 370 bytes