Re: disfavoring unparameterized nested loops

From: Benjamin Coutu <ben(dot)coutu(at)zeyos(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: disfavoring unparameterized nested loops
Date: 2022-09-30 08:00:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Actually, if we wanted to improve things in this area, we should have a
> set of queries that don't chose optimal plans we can test with. We used
> to see them a lot before we had extended statistics, but I don't
> remember seeing many recently, let alone a collection of them. I guess
> that is good.

In the VLDB paper they actually created their own "Join Order Benchmark", which is publicly available under https://github.com/gregrahn/join-order-benchmark
It would probably be more suited for this kind of testing than, e.g. the TPC benchmarks.

If there is interest, I could also compile a set of relevant cases based on the message history of the performance mailing list.