Re: Allow pg_signal_backend members to use pg_log_backend_memory_stats().

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allow pg_signal_backend members to use pg_log_backend_memory_stats().
Date: 2021-10-25 23:28:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2021-10-25 at 14:30 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> I don't get the reasoning behind the "except ..." logic. What does
> this
> actually protect against? A reasonable use case for this feature is
> is to
> monitor memory usage of all backends, and this restriction practially
> requires
> to still use a security definer function.

Nathan brought it up -- more as a question than a request, so perhaps
it's not necessary. I don't have a strong opinion about it, but I
included it to be conservative (easier to relax a privilege than to
tighten one).

I can cut out the in-function check entirely if there's no objection.

Regards,
Jeff Davis

[1] https://postgr.es/m/33F34F0C-BB16-48DE-B125-95D340A54AE8@amazon.com