Re: Some problems of recovery conflict wait events

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Some problems of recovery conflict wait events
Date: 2020-03-11 07:41:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020/03/10 13:54, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2020 at 00:57, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote:

>>> In WaitOnLock() we update the ps title regardless of waiting time. So
>>> I thought we can change it to make these behavior consistent. But
>>> considering back-patch, your patch looks better than mine.
>>
>> Yeah, so I pushed the 0001 patch at first!
>> I will review the other patches later.
>
> Thank you!
>
> For 0002 patch which makes ResolveRecoveryConflictWithDatabase and
> ResolveRecoveryConflictWithBufferPin update the ps title, I think
> these are better to wait for 5ms before updating the ps title like
> ResolveRecoveryConflictWithVirtualXIDs, for consistency among recovery
> conflict resolution functions, but what do you think?

Maybe yes.

As another idea, for consistency, we can change all
ResolveRecoveryConflictWithXXX() so that they don't wait
at all before reporting "waiting". But if we don't do that,
"waiting" can be reported even when we can immediately
cancel or terminate the conflicting transactions (e.g., in
case of max_standby_streaming_delay=0). To avoid this
issue, I think it's better to wait for 500ms.

The 0002 patch changes ResolveRecoveryConflictWithBufferPin()
so that it updates PS every time. But this seems not good
because the update can happen very frequently. Thought?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT DATA CORPORATION