Re: [Proposal] Global temporary tables

From: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: 曾文旌(义从) <wenjing(dot)zwj(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, 蔡松露(子嘉) <zijia(at)taobao(dot)com>, "Cai, Le" <le(dot)cai(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com>, 萧少聪(铁庵) <shaocong(dot)xsc(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Global temporary tables
Date: 2020-01-13 08:08:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12.01.2020 4:51, Tomas Vondra wrote:

>>> I haven't looked at the indexing issue closely, but IMO we need to
>>> ensure that every session sees/uses only indexes on GTT that were
>>> defined before the seesion started using the table.
>>
>> Why? It contradicts with behavior of normal tables.
>> Assume that you have active clients and at some point of time DBA
>> recognizes that them are spending to much time in scanning some GTT.
>> It cab create index for this GTT but if existed client will not be
>> able to use this index, then we need somehow make this clients to
>> restart their sessions?
>> In my patch I have implemented building indexes for GTT on demand: if
>> accessed index on GTT is not yet initialized, then it is filled with
>> local data.
>
> Yes, I know the behavior would be different from behavior for regular
> tables. And yes, it would not allow fixing slow queries in sessions
> without interrupting those sessions.
>
> I proposed just ignoring those new indexes because it seems much simpler
> than alternative solutions that I can think of, and it's not like those
> other solutions don't have other issues.

Quit opposite: prohibiting sessions to see indexes created before
session start to use GTT requires more efforts. We need to somehow
maintain and check GTT first access time.

> For example, I've looked at the "on demand" building as implemented in
> global_private_temp-8.patch, I kinda doubt adding a bunch of index build
> calls into various places in index code seems somewht suspicious.

We in any case has to initialize GTT indexes on demand even if we
prohibit usages of indexes created after first access by session to GTT.
So the difference is only in one thing: should we just initialize empty
index or populate it with local data (if rules for index usability are
the same for GTT as for normal tables).
From implementation point of view there is no big difference. Actually
building index in standard way is even simpler than constructing empty
index. Originally I have implemented
first approach (I just forgot to consider case when GTT was already user
by a session). Then I rewrited it using second approach and patch even
became simpler.

> * brinbuild is added to brinRevmapInitialize, which is meant to
>   initialize state for scanning. It seems wrong to build the index we're
>   scanning from this function (layering and all that).
>
> * btbuild is called from _bt_getbuf. That seems a bit ... suspicious?

As I already mentioned - support of indexes for GTT is one of the most
challenged things in my patch.
I didn't find good and universal solution. So I agreed that call of
btbuild from _bt_getbuf may be considered as suspicious.
I will be pleased if you or sombody else can propose better elternative
and not only for B-Tree, but for all other indexes.

But as I already wrote above, prohibiting session to used indexes
created after first access to GTT doesn't solve the problem.
For normal tables (and for local temp tables) indexes are initialized at
the time of their creation.
With GTT it doesn't work, because each session has its own local data of
GTT.
We should either initialize/build index on demand (when it is first
accessed), either at the moment of session start initialize indexes for
all existed GTTs.
Last options seem to be much worser from my point of view: there may me
huge number of GTT and session may not need to access GTT at all.

> ... and so on for other index types. Also, what about custom indexes
> implemented in extensions? It seems a bit strange each of them has to
> support this separately.

I have already complained about it: my patch supports GTT for all
built-in indexes, but custom indexes has to handle it themselves.
Looks like to provide some generic solution we need to extend index API,
providing two diffrent operations: creation and initialization.
But extending index API is very critical change... And also it doesn't
solve the problem with all existed extensions: them in any case have
to be rewritten to implement new API version in order to support GTT.

> IMHO if this really is the right solution, we need to make it work for
> existing indexes without having to tweak them individually. Why don't we
> track a flag whether an index on GTT was initialized in a given session,
> and if it was not then call the build function before calling any other
> function from the index AM?
> But let's talk about other issues caused by "on demand" build. Imagine
> you have 50 sessions, each using the same GTT with a GB of per-session
> data. Now you create a new index on the GTT, which forces the sessions
> to build it's "local" index. Those builds will use maintenance_work_mem
> each, so 50 * m_w_m. I doubt that's expected/sensible.

I do not see principle difference here with scenario when 50 sessions
create (local) temp table,
populate it with GB of data and create index for it.

> So I suggest we start by just ignoring the *new* indexes, and improve
> this in the future (by building the indexes on demand or whatever).

Sorry, but still do not agree with this suggestions:
- it doesn't simplify things
- it makes behavior of GTT incompatible with normal tables.
- it doesn't prevent some bad or unexpected behavior which can't be
currently reproduced with normal (local) temp tables.

>>> I think someone pointed out pushing stuff directly into the cache is
>>> rather problematic, but I don't recall the details.
>>>
>> I have not encountered any problems, so if you can point me on what
>> is wrong with this approach, I will think about alternative solution.
>>

> I meant this comment by Robert:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmoZFWaND4PpT_CJbeu6VZGZKi2rrTuSTL-Ykd97fexTN-w%40mail.gmail.com

"if any code tried to access the statistics directly from the table,
rather than via the caches".

Currently optimizer is accessing statistic though caches. So this
approach works. If somebody will rewrite optimizer or provide own custom
optimizer in extension which access statistic directly
then it we really be a problem. But I wonder why bypassing catalog cache
may be needed.

Moreover, if we implement alternative solution - for example make
pg_statistic a view which combines results for normal tables and GTT,
then existed optimizer has to be rewritten
because it can not access statistic in the way it is doing now. And
there will be all problem with all existed extensions which are
accessing statistic in most natural way - through system cache.

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company