Re: Corrected documentation of data type for the logical replication message formats.

From: "Euler Taveira" <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
To: "vignesh C" <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "Peter Smith" <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Corrected documentation of data type for the logical replication message formats.
Date: 2021-05-11 03:38:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 10, 2021, at 10:45 AM, vignesh C wrote:
> I agree to specifying the actual dataypes like XLogRecPtr for lsn,
> TimestampTz for timestamp, TransactionId for xid and Oid for the
> object id. Attached v2 patch which is changed on similar lines.
> Thoughts?
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, I didn't suggest to replace the actual
message data types [1] with the internal representation. We could probably
expand the description to include the internal representation. Hence, it is
less confusing that the actual text. Peter suggested the same in a previous
email.

Although, "Message Data Types" is one section before "Message Formats", it is
probably intuitive that the data type for each message refer to the previous
section. However, it is not so clear three section later. A sentence like

The base data types used are described in the section "Messages Data Types".

at the first paragraph could help understand what these data types refer to
(and also add a link to the data types section).

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/protocol-message-types.html

--
Euler Taveira
EDB https://www.enterprisedb.com/