Re: Allowing to create LEAKPROOF functions to non-superuser

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allowing to create LEAKPROOF functions to non-superuser
Date: 2021-04-12 20:42:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/12/21 10:37 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru> writes:
>> Currently only superuser is allowed to create LEAKPROOF functions
>> because leakproof functions can see tuples which have not yet been
>> filtered out by security barrier views or row level security
>> policies.
>
> Yeah.
>
>> But managed cloud services typically do not provide superuser
>> roles.
>
> This is not a good argument for relaxing superuser requirements.

I guess for the cloud services it's not an issue - they're mostly
concerned about manageability and restricting access to the OS. It's
unfortunate that we tie the this capability to being superuser, so maybe
the right solution would be to introduce a separate role with this
privilege?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra